JEWELRY CARE 101
LEARN HOW TO TAKE CARE YOUR SILVER BASE JEWELRY TO MAINTAIN ITS BEAUTY
Silver has been a precious metal since the old times. The metal itself has the ability to allure attractions to its wearer due to its visual property of being very shiny. Silver is also a very good conductor in comparison to its adjacent metals on the periodic table. More importantly, silver has shown its ability to terminate bacteria growth, such that in the past, foot travelers would put their silver coins inside their water supplies to defend themselves from any sickness during their journey. Despite its strong characteristics, there are also weaknesses to this metal that should be nurtured with care.
CHARACTERISTICS OF STERLING SILVER 925
Metal alloys that contain a high mixture of silver all have the same weakness which is being sulfur reactive. This does not impact the metal’s characteristics, except its beautiness. For instance, when silver jewelry comes in contact with air, the sulfur dioxide that is always present in natural air reacts with the metal to form Silver Sulfide. This solid compound is the yellow color you see on your silver jewelry and other silver objects. Nevertheless, this substance can be easily removed in various ways in order to restore the original shininess of your jewelry.
HOW TO REMOVE SILVER TARNISH
1. Home Made Method
1 Cup of Baking Soda
1 Cup of Salt
1. Cover your chosen container with the aluminum foil
2. Pour boiling water into the container
3. Add 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of salt into the water
4. Place the silver that has been tarnished into the solution
5. Allow the piece to soak in the solution for 30 minutes or more depending on the result.
6. Remove the item when cool and dry it with the soft cloth
2. Professional Method
Silver Polish Solution
Silver Polishing Cloth
1. Apply around a quarter size of silver polish solution onto the polishing cloth.
2. Scrub your tarnished silver with the solution applied cloth until the color of the metal restores back to its original color.
3. Scientific Method
1. Fill the machine container with clean water up to the specific level, according to the guidance of the machine brand.